How Many Work Hours In A Year?
Research Summary. Americans work longer hours than most people in the Western world, but there is a discrepancy between work hours in the year and the average amount that people actually work.
In each 28-year cycle (the length of time it takes for the calender to repeat), there are 4 years with 2,096 hour hours, 17 years with 2088 work hours, and 7 years with 2,080 work hours, averaging out to 2,087 work hours in a year
|Month||Work Days||Work Hours|
Knowing how many hours you work annually can help you identify whether your work-life balance is healthy and understand how much money you’re making for each hour you put in at the office.
But how do you calculate the number of hours you work in any given year? Below we discuss how to calculate this number and the extreme importance of understanding this number for your personal wellbeing.
How Many Work Hours In a Week?
The average American works 34.4 hours per week. Those between the ages of 25 and 54 work an average of 40.5 hours per week. If you are an hourly, non-exempt employee, you must be paid time and a half for every hour of overtime you work. Any time worked in a calendar week over 40 hours is considered overtime.
As we mentioned above, knowing the number of work hours you work per year directly impacts your well-being and job satisfaction. Knowing this number can help you in several different ways.
Financially, understanding the number of hours you work will help you calculate your annual income. If you are an hourly employee, understanding the number of hours you’ll be able to work in any given year will make it possible to calculate your take-home finances for the year.
Understanding how your salary is divided among the amount of yours you actually put into your job every year will give you a better idea of the actual amount you’re making per hour. This can be used to your advantage when asking for a promotion or increase in salary.
Understanding the number of hours you’re working doesn’t just apply to finances, however. Knowing the number of hours you put in during a year helps you plan for activities and events outside of work. By understanding how many hours you need to dedicate to work, you can better plan your free time.
We know that working too many hours means less productivity and efficiency for any employee, so understanding if your balance is off can be important in identifying too heavy of a workload or too light of a workload.
Importance of knowing how many work hours there are in a year
- Calculate your hourly salary- You can find out how much you are making per hour if you are a salaried employee working more than 40 hours per week. The hourly salary can easily be calculated by dividing the total annual salary by how many work hours per year you put in. Make sure that you exclude any holiday and paid leave from this.
- Plan for other activities- If you wish to make time in your life for other extracurricular activities such as volunteering, exercising, or any other hobby, you need to know how many hours you dedicate to work. This can help figure out how much time you can devote to other activities without it affecting your personal or work life.
- To calculate the annual income: Estimating the total annual salary becomes easy when you have an idea of how many work weeks are in a year. This can help you plan out a budget for yourself and plan all your spending accordingly.
- Assess your work-life balance- Finding out how many hours you spend at work can help you find out if you need more vacation time, reduce the work hours and take off time for yourself on the weekends. It is important to disassociate from work to ensure that you are not overworked, and your productivity is maintained. Find out if you have a healthy work-life balance by calculating how many hours you spend at work every year and how much time to devote to yourself.
- Calculate your weekly hours- The first step to find out how many work hours in one year is to calculate the number of hours you work on a weekly basis. Know how many hours you work daily since this number would vary from person to person. Add up the hours that you work in a week, and you will have an estimate of your weekly hours. Use this to further calculate the number of hours you work in a year.
- Multiply this number by 52- The next step is to find out how many total numbers of hours you would work in the year if there were no vacations or holidays. This can be calculated by multiplying the average number of weekly hours that you calculated by 52.
- Calculate your paid time off hours: Now, you need to find out the time spent on paid time off (PTO). Your company could include all the paid time off under this or divide it into sick leaves and vacation leaves. You need to include both these figures to find out how many PTO hours you get.
For instance- If you generally take five sick days and get three weeks vacation time (15 days), the total paid time off days you get is 20. Now you need to multiply this with the number of hours you work on a daily basis to get an estimate of paid time off hours you are getting.
- Calculate your paid holiday hours- Also, calculate the number of paid holiday hours you get by multiplying your daily hours with the number of paid holidays provided by the employer.
- Add your total time off- Adding the PTO hours and paid holiday hours will give you an estimate of the total time that you are getting off. For example, if you get 150 hours as PTO and 50 hours as paid holiday hours, the total time that you get off is 200 hours.
- Subtract total time off from annual hours- The final step requires you to subtract the total time off from the figure you estimated in the second step, which was the number of hours you would work in a year in the absence of any paid holiday.
If you wish to find the answer to how many hours do I work a year, the method is relatively simple. The formula used to calculate the number of work hours per year is quite simple. The answer depends on how many hours the employee puts in every week and the number of holidays they get.
How to find out the number of hours worked?
Every country has different notions of productivity. A lot of developed countries have now regulated overtime hours. The answer to how many hours does an average person work varies in every country. Average working hours per year in various countries are as follows:
Work-life balance has a significant effect on the personal and professional wellness of any employee. People with a healthy work-life balance have a lesser chance of having burnout or being victims of chronic stress. They come into work with a happy mindset, which boosts their overall productivity.
This not only influences the mental but physical health of the employees as well. Devoting time to constructive activities turns the employees into more well-rounded individuals.
Everybody places a different level of importance on work-life balance, but you need to know how many work weeks per year are put in by you in order to evaluate this balance in your life.
Your annual salary depends on several factors- the number of days in your typical work week and your hourly rate being some of them. Finding out how many hours do you work in a year will help you find out the exact hourly pay that you are receiving. It also helps evaluate the balance between work and life that you have and whether you need to change that for your personal or professional well-being.
You can also use this to make time for other activities of your liking and lead a more well-balanced and articulate life. Being aware of how many hours does the average person work will help you find out if you are giving in more hours to work and whether you need to dissociate from work to take time off for yourself.